Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mo' Marion, Mo' Problems


As you’ve probably heard, Shawn Marion is looking to leave greener pastures with the Suns, to a less-than-competitive Lakers club. He’s been saying that “It's time for me to take the next step and leave” and "It's like a bad marriage. It's time to get up. I love my fans, I love the city, I love my teammates. I just think it's time for me to leave". What about loving your fans, city and teammates is like a bad marriage, you ask? It’s all about the Benjamins.
Even though Marion is the most highly paid Sun, but certainly not the most valuable, he’s trying to get a contract extension of $60 mil over the next 3 years. So the question is, is Marion worth it? The way I see it, the Suns have about 2 or 3 more years to win with the team they’ve got. That team, unfortunately for tightwad owner Robert Sarver, includes Marion. $20 million a year is far too much to pay Marion, but if it means he stays, and gives the Suns a few more chances at a championship, it might be worth it.
I find it hard to believe that Marion actually thinks he deserves this kind of bank but he definitely knows the Suns want him and going to the Lakers would mean they get nothing comparable in return (probably Lamar Odom). Marion’s got the Suns right where he wants them, and if they want a trophy they’re going to have to dish out some serious cheddar.

No comments: